Come on over to the New Website: AUTHORAPPLETON.com

Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Navigating the Social Battlefield

Negativity pervades most of society and, sadly, Christian circles. Gossip and slander, bickering and grudges . . . all these things form the branches on the tree of Self-centeredness.

When we hang around negative people and listen to their complaints about others and life it brings us down, whether we intend to let it or not. Bad company corrupts good habits more thoroughly than we like to admit and the wrong company will turn us into the sort of people we vowed to never become.

I have a wide variety of friends and acquaintances, only a few of whom are what I call my best friends. They are individuals who love God, not only in word but in deed. They encourage me and have stood by me through my good times and my bad. They are a precious few, the ones with whom I can trust secrets, knowing they will be kept. I count two guys as my closest friends, one girl, and my brother-in-law to be is fast becoming one. This, of course excludes my family . . . which I thank God for every day.

Don't hang out with the wrong crowd. Don't be afraid to back away from a social group if you feel it is hindering your spiritual walk, or your positive outlook on life. We are victors in Christ, warriors in a battle where the outcome has been decided in our favor. I say these things because I recently recognized that I had let people around me start to bring me down and I have had to back off in order to refocus and make absolutely certain that the path I'm on is the one God is blessing . . .. And it has been wonderful! I feel renewed! Just look at the word-count for my second novel and you will see that I am back in the running.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Scott!

I wish more Christians would follow these guidelines. Our friends should be an extention of who we are. And if our friends are always "beating eachother up" so to speak, we shouldn't remain by their side - this will only bring us down.

I look at some kids at church and I feel bad because with the right social influence they would be doing something great for God. That need for social acceptance has lead many people down the wrong path.

I enjoy our friendship Scott. I know you love the Lord, and that can only benefit me spiritually. I know my friendship with you has brought me into a closer relationship with God.

Thank you for being a True Brother in the Lord.

Author Scott Appleton said...

Hi Cody,

You are right on: many youth prioritize social acceptance over peace with God. As a result they become clones of one another.

WELCOME TO THE WRITING SITE OF SCOTT APPLETON

"Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones." -Proverbs 16:24

In a world where morality is forsaken and Christ neglected, wholesome books are uncommon. The themes of my writing are love, self-sacrifice, and honor.

I see my generation turning from God to the gods of this world. I see homes torn apart in the pursuit of pleasure and self-gratification. Children are murdered by the millions every year . . . without ever seeing the world outside their mothers' wombs. Through fiction I strive to encourage those who are willing, to stand against these things and be heroes and heroines; chivalrous, gentle, full of righteous indignation, and the fear and love of their Creator.