Come on over to the New Website: AUTHORAPPLETON.com

Friday, February 8, 2008

A Redirection of Spiritual Focus


I do not read from Oswald Chamber's "My Utmost for His Highest" as often as I should. As with all man-written books, this one contains truth and error. But the grains of wisdom sometimes startle me.


I don't read according to the date and today I picked up this little book, opening to January 31st "Do You See Your Calling?"


Lately I've felt spiritually low. And, as with all such moments in my walk with the Lord, the fault is on my side. I have failed to maintain daily devotions and prayer, letting other things of an entertaining appeal take their place. So today I opened "My Utmost for His Highest" as a starting point of spiritual renewal . . . and I found a precious grain of wisdom from Oswald Chambers that I'd like to share:


"Personal holiness is an effect, not a cause, and if we place our faith in human goodness, in the effect of Redemption, we shall go under when the test comes. Paul did not say he separated himself, but, 'when it pleased God who separated me...' Paul had not a hypersensitive interest in his own character. As long as our eyes are upon our own personal whiteness we shall never get near the reality of Redemption. Workers break down because their desire is for their own whiteness, and not for God . . .."


How often are you at fault for this? I know I have been, often, too often. And I am ashamed of that. Do I seek my own personal glory and purity, or the glory and purity of Christ? My eyes have been inward, not outward. So focused on the goal of establishing my own path that I neglected the One who blazed that path so that I might live. It is good to meditate on the attributes of Christ, for it is not our own goodness that brings us closer to him, but the humbling of our own selves in order to praise and honor Him.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen! Thanks for sharing that. I know it's something I need to be reminded of OFTEN.

"...it is not our own goodness that brings us closer to Him, but the humbling of our own selves in order to praise and honor Him."

That is one fact I need to remember daily, sometimes even hourly or minutely.

Thanks, Kelley

Unknown said...

Thank you for posting this. I needed to hear it :)

Unknown said...

Thank you for posting this. I needed to hear it :)

WELCOME TO THE WRITING SITE OF SCOTT APPLETON

"Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones." -Proverbs 16:24

In a world where morality is forsaken and Christ neglected, wholesome books are uncommon. The themes of my writing are love, self-sacrifice, and honor.

I see my generation turning from God to the gods of this world. I see homes torn apart in the pursuit of pleasure and self-gratification. Children are murdered by the millions every year . . . without ever seeing the world outside their mothers' wombs. Through fiction I strive to encourage those who are willing, to stand against these things and be heroes and heroines; chivalrous, gentle, full of righteous indignation, and the fear and love of their Creator.