Come on over to the New Website: AUTHORAPPLETON.com

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Writer and the Journey of Self-Exploration

If you have ever sat down and written an imaginative piece of writing, I'm sure you'll understand the title of this post; writing is a journey of self-exploration. I was talking to a guy at work last night and he likes to write poetry and also about poetry. He doesn't do it because he gets paid (he doesn't) and he doesn't do it for the prestige (he doesn't often receive recognition) he writes for the love of it.

While he talked I was reminded of how my writings, as I look over my work from the past several years, have often mirrored the points I was at in my life at those times. Composition is best fed by the heart and best inspired by a willingness to reach into our deepest fears, desires, and hopes.

No comments:

WELCOME TO THE WRITING SITE OF SCOTT APPLETON

"Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones." -Proverbs 16:24

In a world where morality is forsaken and Christ neglected, wholesome books are uncommon. The themes of my writing are love, self-sacrifice, and honor.

I see my generation turning from God to the gods of this world. I see homes torn apart in the pursuit of pleasure and self-gratification. Children are murdered by the millions every year . . . without ever seeing the world outside their mothers' wombs. Through fiction I strive to encourage those who are willing, to stand against these things and be heroes and heroines; chivalrous, gentle, full of righteous indignation, and the fear and love of their Creator.