Come on over to the New Website: AUTHORAPPLETON.com

Saturday, January 31, 2009

For the Love of Writing

Passionate writing produces powerful, thought-provoking literature. Who wants to read a book on an issue, if they know the author doesn't want to take a stance for either points of view they wish to address? I don't; there are enough "wishy-washy" thinkers out there. I would rather pick up a book by an author who is going to take a firm stand on what they belief. I don't care if I agree with their perspective, or their logic. I want them to state why they believe what they believe. I want to be challenged.

Some of today's most popular fantasy books prove my point.

Narnia offers clear-cut biblical role-models for children, and is strongly allegorical. The author, C.S. Lewis, wrote from his Christian world-view. He did not shy from his convictions.

Harry Potter is decidedly secular. J.K. Rowling opened floodgates of controversy with the blatent witchcraft in her novels.

And Phillip Pullman, The Golden Compass, is an athiest who said somthing to the effect that he wanted his stories to 'kill God in the eyes of children.'

So, when writing my stories, I do not shy from my personal convictions and beliefs. My writings should be (and are) windows into my soul. When my life hits a hard point, my stories are dark. Writing from conviction is inifinitely more rewarding than writing just for the sake of it. I want readers of all backgrounds to be able to agree and/or disagree with me. I want them to search themselves, to learn.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is exactly what I look for in the books that I choose to read. I will read secular books along with many others that differ from world view to world view, or opinions, but I always seem to come back to my favorite Christian authors, which helps keep my grounded in my reading. Thank You so much for being willing to take this stand in front of others! I will continue to read the books you write and pass them along to others.

WELCOME TO THE WRITING SITE OF SCOTT APPLETON

"Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones." -Proverbs 16:24

In a world where morality is forsaken and Christ neglected, wholesome books are uncommon. The themes of my writing are love, self-sacrifice, and honor.

I see my generation turning from God to the gods of this world. I see homes torn apart in the pursuit of pleasure and self-gratification. Children are murdered by the millions every year . . . without ever seeing the world outside their mothers' wombs. Through fiction I strive to encourage those who are willing, to stand against these things and be heroes and heroines; chivalrous, gentle, full of righteous indignation, and the fear and love of their Creator.