Come on over to the New Website: AUTHORAPPLETON.com

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

iPad2: an empowering writer's tool!


I bought myself an iPad2 a few months ago. It was hard to fork over the $500 plus but now I can say, beyond a doubt, it was a worthwhile investment. It runs flawlessly, which has sold me on Apple products. It is so well built that when I accidentally dropped it on the floor, the screen didn't even flash. Oh, and I love the 10-hour batter life! Fantastic!
As time goes on, I'm sure I'll discover many other uses for this wonderful tool, but for now it has:
  1. Simplified the process of updating my social networking pages
  2. Enabled me to build story ideas on-the-go with apps like Writers App (pictured above)
  3. Placed a library at my fingertips with iBooks. I am now reading more than I have in years.
  4. Allows me to take video and photo wherever I am. This has been very useful for book signing events because I used to always forget to bring my camera.
  5. Allows me to display covers and art for my current and upcoming book releases at book stores and schools.
The iPad2 has put everything at my fingertips, freeing me up to write more often and it has simplified my point-of-sale conversations.

2 comments:

Jake said...

Well, I'm an owner of a Kindle Fire myself. I think, ultimately, tablets harm my writing. Sure, there are all sorts of useful things...but having so much literally at my fingertips leaves it so I'm never without something to do. Which isn't a good thing in the long run.

I love tablets. But I think they aid in procrastination. ^_^

Anyhow, good post.

Author Scott Appleton said...

Hi Jake!
I understand where you're coming from, but I think the Kindle Fire was designed to do just exactly what you're talking about: it is primarily an entertainment hub, whereas the iPad is a lot more versatile and business-friendly.

If you were to use the Writers App on-the-go, as I do, any good idea that you have can instantly be entered into the tablet. Previously, the only way to do that was to carry a notepad around at all times. And even then you had to worry about winter chilling the pen ink, or running out of ink.

I used to spend a lot of time on my laptop, but the tablet is a much more efficient tool. And I love it that when I come to the laptop to write, I leave the other work on my iPad.

WELCOME TO THE WRITING SITE OF SCOTT APPLETON

"Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones." -Proverbs 16:24

In a world where morality is forsaken and Christ neglected, wholesome books are uncommon. The themes of my writing are love, self-sacrifice, and honor.

I see my generation turning from God to the gods of this world. I see homes torn apart in the pursuit of pleasure and self-gratification. Children are murdered by the millions every year . . . without ever seeing the world outside their mothers' wombs. Through fiction I strive to encourage those who are willing, to stand against these things and be heroes and heroines; chivalrous, gentle, full of righteous indignation, and the fear and love of their Creator.