Come on over to the New Website: AUTHORAPPLETON.com

Friday, March 2, 2007

The Letter to Myself

I was reminded last night of a class that I'd sat in, under David Morrell (author of First Blood). His intensive class on writing fiction, taught at the Glorieta Christian Writer's Conference, lasted all day on Saturday and was one of the most helpful of all the classes I chose to attend that week.

This week I have been struggling with certain aspects of my follow-up novel, Prodigy, and I couldn't determine what the real problems with it were until I recalled that David Morrell had said he writes letters to himself to put things in focus. So I took out my notebook and wrote a letter to myself, not long, about a page, but it was enough to help me understand the weaknesses in my plot structure.

So, if you get stuck and your thoughts are going in every direction imaginable: write a letter to yourself! It just might work.

No comments:

WELCOME TO THE WRITING SITE OF SCOTT APPLETON

"Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones." -Proverbs 16:24

In a world where morality is forsaken and Christ neglected, wholesome books are uncommon. The themes of my writing are love, self-sacrifice, and honor.

I see my generation turning from God to the gods of this world. I see homes torn apart in the pursuit of pleasure and self-gratification. Children are murdered by the millions every year . . . without ever seeing the world outside their mothers' wombs. Through fiction I strive to encourage those who are willing, to stand against these things and be heroes and heroines; chivalrous, gentle, full of righteous indignation, and the fear and love of their Creator.