Come on over to the New Website: AUTHORAPPLETON.com

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

ICRS 2011 in Atlanta (part 2)

The show ended today. I am tired! But it was such a great experience. I made new contacts and met people who I'd previously only known online. I think I signed around 150 books.

I have two bits of news that are awesome, and one that is disappointing:
  1. Swords of the Six is selling very well! So well, in fact, that it is right behind Bryan Davis's two new novels and ahead of all their other fiction. Praise God! ...I'll give more details later as I discover them.
  2. AMG Publishers wants to sign me on for the rest of The Sword of the Dragon series. They are very happy with how it has been received and I feel honored to write for them.
  3. Now the other bit of news isn't calamitous, but it does sock me a financial blow that is hard to swallow at this time. A few book buyers have complained that they find the cover for my second novel to be offensive. I don't see it, but in order to keep those buyers happy I am commissioning a different piece of art to be used on the cover. Hopefully it will turn out as good or better than the first one. But this sets back the release of the novel, so don't expect it before August.
Tomorrow morning my wife and I are driving back to North Carolina, and from there we'll head home. It has been a wonderful trip. I feel that I know the people at AMG a whole lot better now and understand better how to work with them.
I signed a lot of books. They were free, so as long as people lined up they received copies. I handed out lots of business cards ahead of time and it paid off. There were a lot of book buyers and store managers in the lines.

This last picture is of me and the designer of my original novel cover, Kirk DouPonce. It was really one of those moments when I felt I had met a new friend. Some people in the industry are a great to know, others leave an impression... He is such a great guy!

No comments:

WELCOME TO THE WRITING SITE OF SCOTT APPLETON

"Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones." -Proverbs 16:24

In a world where morality is forsaken and Christ neglected, wholesome books are uncommon. The themes of my writing are love, self-sacrifice, and honor.

I see my generation turning from God to the gods of this world. I see homes torn apart in the pursuit of pleasure and self-gratification. Children are murdered by the millions every year . . . without ever seeing the world outside their mothers' wombs. Through fiction I strive to encourage those who are willing, to stand against these things and be heroes and heroines; chivalrous, gentle, full of righteous indignation, and the fear and love of their Creator.