Come on over to the New Website: AUTHORAPPLETON.com

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Star Trek

*****
Being an avid fan of Star Trek (the Original Series, Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, and Voyager) I have been looking forward with great anticipation for the last two years to the new movie that everyone hopes will revive the franchise.
I've seen it twice now. The first time a buddy of mine (also an avid Treky) went with me and a couple other people and both of us were severely disappointed because it reinvents the story, creating another reality so that the series can continue with 100% new material. But after seeing it the second time I am hooked. Not because it tells as great a story as Next Generation but because it has its own unique feel. The special effects were simply amazing and the movie opened with good characterization (actually the opening scene was excellent; I liked it the first time, too). The character of Spock disappointed me because it deviated from Vulcans as classic Star Trek portraid them. However, taking this movie as a reinvention of the franchise, I really enjoyed it the second time around. There were a couple vulgar sentences that I wish the director had left out, and the bedroom scene was innappropriate (don't bring your child to this movie). I would give this movie four out of five stars.
Live long, and prosper!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE STAR TREK!
You have the same view my
mom and dad did when they
went to see it.
I can't wait to watch
it on ClearPlay!
(I'm SOOO looking forward to
G. I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra!!!!!!!
I love Snake Eyes!!!)

WELCOME TO THE WRITING SITE OF SCOTT APPLETON

"Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones." -Proverbs 16:24

In a world where morality is forsaken and Christ neglected, wholesome books are uncommon. The themes of my writing are love, self-sacrifice, and honor.

I see my generation turning from God to the gods of this world. I see homes torn apart in the pursuit of pleasure and self-gratification. Children are murdered by the millions every year . . . without ever seeing the world outside their mothers' wombs. Through fiction I strive to encourage those who are willing, to stand against these things and be heroes and heroines; chivalrous, gentle, full of righteous indignation, and the fear and love of their Creator.